Air France Compensation: Claim flight delay, cancellation or lost baggage. Get up to 600 euros compensation for a delayed or cancelled flight and 1.414 euros for lost luggage.
Air France flight claim compensation: European law and Montreal Convention
Air France European compensation: delayed, cancelled and overbooked flight
- When the airline is European or…
- When the flight takes off from europe
Compensation table under Eu law: Air France delayed, cancelled and overbooked fligh
|Flight Distance (Km)||Air France Compensation||Claim|
|– 1.500 km||€ 250||Claim € 250|
|1.500 Km – 3.500 Km||€ 400||Claim € 400|
|More than 3.500 Km||€ 600||Claim € 600|
Air France Expenses
Air France damages
Air France E.g compensation according to European 261 law
- Flight delay from Frankfurt to Zurich: Less than 1.500 km = € 250 + expenses.
- Flight overbooking from Tenrife to Paris: 1.500 km -3.500 km = 400 euros + expenses.
- Flight delay from Barcelona to Kyoto: 3.500 km + = € 600 + expenses.
Air France Compensations under Montreal Convention for delays, cancellations, overbooked flights and baggage
Only when these two circumstances occur simultaneously:
- All luggage claims even if the airline is european
- When the airline is not European and the flight does not depart from Europe
Delayed flight, cancellation or overbooking compensation table according to the Montreal Convention
|Compensation||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Luggage||5.708 euros = 4.694 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Other flighs, rents, tours, other missed flights|
Air France lost baggage or delayed luggage compensation
If you Claim Air France for baggage delay you can get a compensation of € 1.414 + expenses.
|Luggage claim||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Lost or damaged||1.414 euros = 1.253 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Clothes, cost of the baggage, taxis|
Important: Fill in the PIR to claim for the luggage to Air France: Property Irregularity Report
What is the meaning of PIR?
A Air France Property Irregularity Report (PIR) ref number is a unique code that tracks your delayed or damaged suitcase. You can find 10 letters and numbers and it is required to claim to Air France.
- Reference code
- Flight code
- Number of lost suitcase
- Colour and type
The Air France Extraordinary Circumstances
The term ‘extraordinary circumstances’ applies when the delayed or cancelled flight is due to something uncommon in which a claim receives no compensation. Example:
- Really bad weather conditions
- Political or civil unrest
- Some strikes unrelated to Air France like air traffic
Air France not real Extraordinary Circumstances:
- Issues with Air France staff
- Bad weather affecting a previous flight
- Denied boarding due to the flight being overbooked
- Air France technical problems
About Air France Downgrade
If you suffer a Air France downgrade, the airline must refund 30% to 75% of the price of the ticket depending on the distance of the flight.
Can I claim my flight delay directly to Air France?
First of all, if you want to claim directly to Air France, you should know your chances are very small, since very often Air France tries to justify their delayed flights with extraordinary circumstances that did not really happen, such as issues with air traffic control. Therefore, it is highly recommendable to direct your claim through lexority.
How far back can you go with claiming flight delay compensation to Air France
Time Limit: 2 to 5 years as a general rule, depending on the type of regulation that is fit in that particular case.
- Montreal Convention: two years
- Eu law: two to ten years. It is necessary to the civil code for that particular country.
Documentation to claim correctly to Air France:
Some advice to claim Air France
Inquire about the reason for Air France delay or cancellation
The reason of the delay is important: specially if you have thrown away the boarding pass.
Air France delayed flights for 3 or more hours
Air France delay must be higher than 3 hours to be granted a compensation.
Overbooking at Air France flight
Overbooked Air France flight: When Air France sells more tickets than the actual number of people they can take.
The overbooking is legal, but you can get a compensation up to € 600.
Air France aims to avoid empty seats due to no-shows, but this must be legally sanctioned.
Once a Air France passenger has received a flight ticket or any document stating the payment has been accepted and registered, it is a “confirmed reservation”. Boarding denials happen when a passenger presents to the gate but Air France refuses them access to the plane.
How do I know how long was Air France flight delayed?
- Contact a Lexority lawyer to tell you how long the Air France flight has been delayed without any doubt. You have to be aware that the following webpages are not always accurate and need a payment record.
- You can use the web http://www.flightstats.com/ where if you register you can see the Air France status of all flights including those of years ago.
- Another way is entering to Flight Radar where you can see the last 7 days Air France flight delays without registering. After registration you can also see delayed flights from up to 2 years ago.
Note: When the Air France delay is very close to three hours, Flightradar24 is not 100% reliable, since it shows the time of landing, but not the exit from the plane, which is what the regulations imposes has to be taken in consideration.