KLM Compensation: Claim flight delay, cancellation or lost baggage. Get up to 600 euros compensation for a delayed or cancelled flight and 1.414 euros for lost luggage.
KLM flight compensation: EU 261 Law and Montreal Convention
KLM European Flight compensation: delay, cancellation and overbooking
- When it is an european airline or…
- if the flight departs from europe
Compensation outline under EU 261 Law: KLM delay, cancellation and overbooking
|Flight (km)||KLM Compensation||Claim|
|Less than 1.500 km||€ 250||Claim € 250|
|1.500 Km – 3.500 Km||€ 400||Claim € 400|
|+ 3.500 Km||€ 600||Claim € 600|
KLM E.g. compensation according to european law
- Flight overbooking from Frankfurt to Zurich: Less than 1.500 km = € 250 + expenses.
- Flight delay from Tenrife to Bilbao: Between 1.500 km and 3.500 km = € 400 + expenses.
- Flight overbooking from Berlin to : 3.500 km + = 600 euros + expenses.
KLM Compensations under Montreal Convention for delays, cancellations, overbooked flights and baggage
Only when these two circumstances happen simultaneously:
- All baggage claims even if the airline is european
- When it is not an european airline and the flight doesn´t take off from Europe
Delayed flight, cancellation or overbooking compensation table according to the Montreal Convention
|Compensation||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Luggage||€ 5.708 = 4.694 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Hotels, taxis, tours, other missed flights|
KLM lost baggage or delayed luggage compensation
If you Claim KLM for luggage delay you can get a compensation of € 1.414 + expenses.
|Luggage claim||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Lost or damaged||1.414 euros = 1.253 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Clothes, cost of the baggage, taxis|
Read: Fill in the PIR to claim for the luggage to KLM: Property Irregularity Report
What is the meaning of PIR?
A KLM Property Irregularity Report (PIR) reference is a unique code that traces your lost or damaged suitcase. It has a combination of 10 letters and numbers and it is necessary to claim to KLM.
- Number of lost luggages
- Ref code so that KLM can trace the suitcase
- Color and type
The KLM Extraordinary Circumstances
The term ‘extraordinary circumstances’ is applicable when the delayed or cancelled flight is caused by something uncommon in which a claim receives no compensation. E.g.:
- Really bad weather conditions
- Some strikes unrelated to KLM such as baggage handlers
KLM unreal Extraordinary Circumstances:
- Problems with KLM staff
- Bad weather affecting a previous flight
- Denied boarding due to an overbooking
- KLM technical problems
Downgrade at KLM flight?
If you suffer a KLM downgrade, the airline must refund 30 to 75 percent of the ticket depending on the distance of the flight.
Can I claim my delayed flight directly to KLM?
First of all, if you want to claim directly to KLM, you should know your chances are very small, since very often KLM tries to justify their flight delays with extraordinary circumstances that didn’t really happen, such as issues with air traffic control. Consequently, it’s highly recommendable to funnel your claim through lexority.
How far back can you go with claiming flight delay compensation to KLM
Time Limit: 2 to 5 years as a general rule, contingent on the type of regulation that is applicable in that particular case.
- Montreal Convention: two years
- UE Regulation: 2 to 10 years. You must read the civil code for that particular country.
Documents to claim successfully to KLM:
ID or pass
Some advice to claim KLM
Inquire about the reason for KLM delay or cancellation
The cause of the delayed flight is critical: principally if you have thrown away the boarding passes.
KLM delayed flights for 3 or more hours
To be entitled to a compensation, KLM delayed flight must be higher than 3 hours.
Overbooking at KLM flight
Overbooked KLM flight: When KLM sells more tickets than the possible number of passengers they can take.
The overbooking is legal, but you can be granted up to € 600.
KLM aims to avoid empty seats due to no-shows, but this must be legally sanctioned.
When the KLM passenger has received a reservation or any document stating the payment has been accepted and registered, it is a “confirmed reservation”. Boarding denials happen when a passenger presents to the gate but KLM refuses them access to the plane.
How do I know how long was KLM flight delayed?
- Contact a Lexority attorney to tell you how long the KLM flight has been delayed without any doubt. Take in to account that the following webpages are not always accurate and need a payment record.
- You can use the web Flight Stats where if you register you can see the KLM status of all flights including those of years ago.
- Another way is to go to https://www.flightradar24.com/ where you can see the last 7 days KLM flight delays without registering. After registration you can also see delayed flights from up to two years ago.
Must read: When the KLM delay is very close to three hours, Flightradar24 is not 100% accurate, since it shows the time of landing, but not the exit from the plane, which is what the law imposes has to be taken in consideration.
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/reclama2/public_html/lexority.com/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php on line 3502
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/reclama2/public_html/lexority.com/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php on line 3504
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/reclama2/public_html/lexority.com/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php on line 3506