Norwegian Compensation: Claim flight delay, cancellation or lost baggage. Get up to € 600 refund for a delayed or cancelled flight and € 1.414 for lost luggage.
Norwegian flight compensation: European law and Montreal Convention
Norwegian EU Flight compensation: delayed, cancelled and overbooked flight
- if the airline is European or…
- if the flight takes off from europe
Compensation summary under EU 261 Law: Norwegian delayed, cancelled and overbooked fligh
|Flight Distance (Km)||Norwegian Compensation||Claim|
|Less than 1.500 km||€ 250||Claim € 250|
|1.500 Km – 3.500 Km||€ 400||Claim € 400|
|More than 3.500 Km||€ 600||Claim € 600|
Norwegian Example of compensation according to European 261 law
- Flight cancellation from Milan to Brussels: -1.500 km = 250 euros + expenses.
- Flight cancellation from Las Palmas to Belgium: 1.500 km -3.500 km = 400 euros + expenses.
- Flight cancellation from Rome to Tokyo: 3.500 km + = € 600 + expenses.
Norwegian Compensations under Montreal Convention for delays, cancellations, overbooking and baggage
Only when these 2 circumstances happen at the same time:
- All luggage claims even if it is an european airline
- When it is not an european airline and the flight doesn´t take off from Europe
Compensation table for flight delays, cancellations, or overbooking according to the Montreal Convention
|Compensation||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Luggage||5.708 euros = 4.694 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Hotels, taxis, tours, other missed flights|
Norwegian lost baggage or delayed luggage compensation
If you want to Claim Norwegian for baggage delay you can get a compensation of € 1.414 + expenses.
|Baggage claim||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Lost or damaged||1.414 euros = 1.253 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Clothes, cost of the baggage, taxis|
Must read: Fill in the PIR to claim for the luggage to Norwegian: Property Irregularity Report
About Norwegian PIR
The Norwegian Property Irregularity Report (PIR) reference is a unique code that traces your delayed or damaged luggage. It has a combination of 10 letters and numbers and it is imperative to claim to Norwegian.
- Reference code
- Flight code
- Number of lost baggages
- Color and type
The Norwegian Extraordinary Circumstances
The term ‘extraordinary circumstances’ is applicable when the delay/cancellation is due to something unexpected in which a claim receives no compensation. E.g.:
- Really bad weather conditions
- Political or civil unrest
- Some strikes unrelated to Norwegian such as baggage handlers
Norwegian unreal Extraordinary Circumstances:
- Issues with Norwegian staff
- Bad weather affecting a previous flight
- Denied boarding due to the flight being overbooked
- Norwegian technical problems
Norwegian denied boarding:
- Do not throw away boarding passes.
- Ask why you’re being denied boarding.
Can I claim my flight delay directly to Norwegian?
First, if you want to claim directly to Norwegian, you should know your chances are very small, since very often Norwegian tries to justify their delayed flights with extraordinary circumstances that did not really happen, such as issues with air traffic control. Therefore, it is highly recommendable to funnel your claim through lexority.
Deadline to claim a flight: How far back can I claim a flight compensation to Norwegian?
Time Limit: 2 to 5 years as a general rule, contingent on the type of regulation that is fit in each case.
- Montreal Convention: 2 years
- Eu law: 2 to 10 years. It is necessary to the civil code for that particular country.
Documents to claim successfully to Norwegian:
ID or pass
Some advice to claim Norwegian
Do not accept any offer from Norwegian
Don´t accept any offer from Norwegian that doesn’t match what the Regulations imposes. Read above to check the compensation you are legally entitled to.
Norwegian delayed flights for 3 or more hours
Norwegian delay must be higher than 3 hours to be granted a compensation.
Norwegian overbooking: is it legal?
Overbooked Norwegian flight: When Norwegian sells more tickets than the possible number of passengers they can take.
The overbooking is legal, but you are entitled to a compensation up to € 600.
Norwegian aims to avoid empty seats because of no-shows, but this must be legally sanctioned.
When the Norwegian passenger has received a reservation or any document stating the payment has been accepted and registered, it is a “confirmed reservation”. Boarding denials happen when a passenger presents to the gate but Norwegian refuses them access to the plane.
How do I know how long was Norwegian flight delayed?
- Have a Lexority specialist to tell you how long the Norwegian flight has been delayed without a doubt. Take in to account that the following tools are not always accurate and need a payment record.
- You can use the web http://www.flightstats.com/ where if you register you can see the Norwegian status of all flights including those of years ago.
- Another option is entering to Flight Radar where you can see the last 7 days Norwegian flight delays without registering. After registration you can also see delayed flights from up to two years ago.
Note: When the Norwegian delay is very close to 3 hours, Flightradar24 is not 100% accurate, since it shows the time of landing, but not the exit from the plane, which is what the regulations imposes has to be taken in consideration.