Austrian Compensation: Claim flight delay, cancellation or lost baggage. Get up to 600 euros compensation for a delayed or cancelled flight and € 1.414 for lost luggage.
Austrian flight claim compensation: EU 261 Law and Montreal Convention
Austrian European Flight compensation: delay, cancellation and overbooking
- When it is an european airline or…
- When the flight departs from europe
Compensation review under European law: Austrian delay, cancellation and overbooking
|Flight (km)||Austrian Compensation||Claim|
|– 1.500 km||€ 250||Claim € 250|
|1.500 Km – 3.500 Km||€ 400||Claim € 400|
|+ 3.500 Km||€ 600||Claim € 600|
Austrian Example of compensation according to european law
- Flight cancellation from Milan to Brussels: Less than 1.500 km = € 250 + expenses.
- Flight overbooking from Tenrife to Paris: 1.500 km -3.500 km = 400 euros + expenses.
- Flight overbooking from Barcelona to United States: 3.500 km + = € 600 + expenses.
Austrian Montreal Convention Compensations for delays, cancellations, overbooking and baggage
Only when these two circumstances happen simultaneously:
- All luggage claims even if it is an european airline
- When it is not an european airline and the flight does not take off from Europe
Delayed flight, cancellation or overbooking compensation table according to the Montreal Convention
|Compensation||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Luggage||5.708 euros = 4.694 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Hotels, taxis, tours, other missed flights|
Austrian lost baggage or delayed luggage compensation
If you want to Claim Austrian for lost baggage you can get a compensation of 1.414 euros + expenses.
|Baggage claim||Limit of liability||Expenses|
|Lost or damaged||1.414 euros = 1.253 SDR (Special Drawing Rights)||Clothes, cost of the baggage, taxis|
Read: Fill in the PIR to claim for the luggage to Austrian: Property Irregularity Report
What is the meaning of PIR?
The Austrian Property Irregularity Report (PIR) reference is a unique code that tracks your lost or damaged luggage. You can find 10 letters and numbers and it is demanded to claim to Austrian.
- Number of lost baggages
- Ref code so that Austrian can trace the suitcase
- Color and type
The Austrian Extraordinary Circumstances
The term ‘extraordinary circumstances’ applies when the delay/cancellation is caused by something unusual in which a claim receives no compensation. E.g.:
- Extreme weather conditions
- Some strikes unrelated to Austrian like baggage handlers
Austrian not real Extraordinary Circumstances:
- Problems with Austrian staff
- Bad weather affecting a previous flight
- Denied boarding due to an overbooking
- Austrian technical problems
Austrian denied boarding:
- Do not get rid off boarding passes.
- Ask why you’re being denied boarding.
Can I claim my flight delay directly to Austrian?
First, if you want to claim directly to Austrian, you should know your chances are very small, since very often Austrian tries to justify their delayed flights with extraordinary circumstances that did not really happen, such as bad weather. Therefore, it’s highly recommendable to direct your claim through lexority.
Time limit: How far back can I claim a flight compensation to Austrian?
Time Limit: 2 to 5 years as a general rule, depending on the type of regulation that is fit in that particular case.
- Montreal Convention: 2 years
- UE Regulation: two to ten years. You must read the civil code for that particular country.
Documents to claim successfully to Austrian:
Guidance to claim Austrian
Don´t throw your ticket expenses to claim Austrian
Although Austrian should refund the expenses, sometimes the airline doesn´t do it. Austrian is allowed to ask for your receipts as proof before refunding you for the extra costs of your flight.
Austrian delayed flights for 3 or more hours
Austrian delay must be higher than 3 hours to be entitled to a compensation.
Austrian overbooking: is it legal?
Austrian Overbooking: When Austrian sells more tickets than the actual number of passengers they can take.
The overbooking is legal, but you can be granted up to € 600.
Austrian aims to avoid empty seats because of no-shows, but this must be legally sanctioned.
Once a Austrian passenger has received a reservation or any document stating the payment has been accepted and registered, it is a “confirmed reservation”. Boarding denials happen when a passenger presents to the gate but Austrian refuses them access to the plane.
How do I know how long the Austrian flight delay has been?
- Contact a Lexority attorney to tell you how long was the delay of the Austrian flight without any doubt. You have to be aware that the following tools are not always accurate and need a payment record.
- Use the web Flight Stats where if you register you can see the Austrian status of all flights including those of years ago.
- Another way is entering to https://www.flightradar24.com/ where you can see the last seven days Austrian flight delays without registering. After registration you can also see delayed flights from up to 2 years ago.
Advice: When the Austrian delay is very close to three hours, Flightradar24 is not 100% reliable, since it shows the time of landing, but not the exit from the plane, which is what the law imposes has to be taken in consideration.